Mission & Vision
To know Christ, and to make Him known.
We want to see more and more disciples of Jesus shining as lights in the City of Wollongong.
- God’s Word, the Bible, as our ultimate authority and guide
- The centrality of the cross of Christ and his resurrection in our lives and preaching
- Prayerful dependence on the Holy Spirit
- Courageous calling on people to repent and put their faith in Christ
- Consecutive reading and explanation of the Bible as our basic method of ministry
- Gatherings of breadth and depth in confession, creed, song and prayer
- Loving churches of real community, sacrifice and simplicity, which care for the vulnerable
- Globally-minded Christians, connecting with all classes, ages and cultures
- Initiative in leadership and use of gifts by members
- Equipping current and future generations of disciple-makers for the Illawarra and beyond
(Hear a sermon from our Senior Minister, Sandy Grant, on the Values here, from 2 Corinthians 4.)
By God’s grace, in the spirit of James 4:15, we want to see 700 disciples of Jesus in our congregations weekly.
- Engage: Respond to the changing face of our society (local factors include: city residential and retail renewal; influx of students and migrants of Chinese and Muslim backgrounds, the 50-70 y.o. Boomer transition to retirement, the growth in health services).
- Primary Goal: to participate in one new church plant from our Mission Area by 2020.
- Secondary Goal: to increase the percentage of our members born in non-English speaking countries from 10% (NCLS 2011) to 20% by 2020.
- Evangelise: Reaching the lost
- Primary Goal: to increase the number of our members reporting their willingness to talk intentionally about their faith from 16% (NCLS 2011) to 22% by 2020.
- Secondary Goal: to increase the number of our members with some involvement in community groups outside the church from 60% (NCLS 2011) to 70% by 2020.
- Establish: Deepening spiritual maturity
- Primary Goal: to increase the number of growth group and youth group leaders from 75 to 105 by 2020.
- Secondary Goal: to increase the number of our members reporting time spent in prayer, Bible reading, meditation at least most days/week from 46% (NCLS 2011) to 55%.
- Equip: train and empower members to exercise their gifts
- Primary Goal: to increase the number of our members reporting their use of gifts at least ‘to some extent’ from 49% (NCLS 2011) to 60% by 2020.
This statement of our Mission, Vision, Values and Goals comes from our current Vision 2020 document, which was developed in the last quarter of 2014, and updated slightly in last quarter of 2016. (PDF version here… Parish MVVG 2016-11)
What we believe
We are an evangelical Anglican church. This means we hold to the ultimate authority and sufficiency of the Bible in all matters of faith and practice; and that we are bound by the doctrine expressed in The 39 Articles of Religion.