June Mission and Parish Council Update
Mission Update – Tim & Siew Mun Nicholls in Malaysia
In July, Mission of the Month giving is directed to our link missionaries, Tim & Siew Mun Nicholls, working in Malaysia, backed by AFES.
Tim’s work focuses mainly on equipping pastors and church leaders, especially by teaching Moore College Distance education and other reliable materials via Equip – an interdenominational agency training leaders, based in Kuala Lumpur. This impact moves beyond Malaysia, into Singapore, and other places in Asia, where Bahasa, English and Mandarin are spoken.
Tim and Siew Mun also contribute to the ministry at St Mary’s Anglican Cathedral in KL, Tim pastoring a university congregation in the evening, and also both equipping leaders and serving in areas related to children’s ministry. They now have two children, Charissa and Christopher.
Here are some prayer points…
- Thank God for many who have been studying God’s word through the Equip courses all across Malaysia and beyond. Thank God for the partnerships with Malaysia Bible Seminary and CCEF (Christian Counselling and Education Foundation). Pray that God may use Equip to train up the next generation of gospel workers.
- Pray that St Mary’s Sunday School teachers would continue to love the kids, and each of the children would grow up to know and love Christ
- Pray that we would spend quality time as a family and be godly spouses and parents.
- Pray that conferences and courses organised for pastors and leaders around Malaysia would assist them to be better equipped to faithfully handle God’s word. This includes efforts at training Sunday School teachers, in English, Bahasa and Mandarin.
- Pray that Tim’s language ability continues to improve.
Parish Council Update: June
- As always we began with Bible reading (Psalm 19) and prayer.
- We received a ministry report from Stacey Chapman and our new women’s ministry trainee Joanna Hann, focusing on ministry among women.
- We noted events beginning to be planned to engage the community: Garage-Sale Trail (Oct 19); Cathedral’s 160th anniversary (Dec 14-15).
- Sandy reported on positive visits to local state MPs: Paul Scully and Ryan Park.
- We reviewed Synod issued guidelines for pastoral care of those who re same-sex attracted or grappling with gender identity issues; the staff have also been interacting with these guidelines, and they should provide help for the future.
- We added, as a St Michael’s Day Thanksgiving project, the Overseas Council’s Samaritan Strategy class support project training pastors for slum ministry at the Centre for Urban Mission in the Kibera Settlement in Nairobi, Kenya. Further projects are still to be determined at the next meeting.
- We resolved to move our office software basis for staff to MS Office 365 subscriptions, via Microsoft’s non-profit program.