8 Feb 2018
The thought of sharing the gospel message with people can be terrifying! How do we help our heads and hearts take on this task of evangelism?
As we get ready for our “Jesus is _______.” month of mission in March, I thought it would be good to list as many reasons for why we are to tell the people of Wollongong about what Jesus has done (Rescuer) and who he is (Ruler of all) to spur us all on.
- The gospel message is good news for everyone!!
- We follow Jesus’ commanded to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19).
- When we make disciples we are accompanied by the great Evangelist and Shepherd – Jesus. In fact we join Jesus on his mission (Matthew 28:20).
- Making followers of Jesus helps us not to become lukewarm as Christians.
- Making disciples is a great means of God’s ongoing grace in our lives as we seek to evangelise. It can bring us great joy to see people put their trust in Jesus.
- Heaven and Hell are real.
- People are lost and when they don’t trust Jesus they already stand condemned. Romans 1:18 says, “The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness”.
- The God whom we love is a missionary God. The Father sends the Son in mission.
- The church is the missionary body. Jesus sends the church out into the world with the power of the Holy Spirit. The whole body are to be Christ’s witnesses to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). Mission is not what we do but it is who we are.
- We have been made into ambassadors. Therefore evangelism is a way of life not something we have to do.
- We are a royal priesthood and as a royal priesthood we all play our part in declaring the praises of God to the world.
- Jesus is the Lord of all whether people acknowledge it now or not (Philippians 2:9-11).
- Jesus is the only way for people to be saved (John 14:6).
- Christ died for people.
- This is how we love others.
- We want to glorify God. We tell people about Jesus for God’s fame to be spread.
- We love God. We want to please him and we’re grateful for all that he has done.
Maybe you can think of more. I’d love to hear them!! Let’s keep praying to God for help with our heads and our hearts!