What is Annual Thanksgiving Day? (ATD)
Everything we have comes from God, and the Bible encourages us to use God’s good gifts to honour him. That’s why every year at St Michael’s we celebrate ATD to express our thankfulness for what God has done through Christ (2 Corinthians 8: 7 & 9, 13-15; 1 John 3:16-18); our gratitude for the great gospel ministry here; and to give financially to projects and Christian ministries outside St Michael’s to bless others.
Annual Thanksgiving Day is coming up on Sunday, September 24.
What happens on ATD (Sunday 24 September)?
On the day, we’ll spend some time during each service (8am, 9:45am, 10am@Corrimal, 11:30am, 5pm & 7pm) sharing with each other and giving thanks to the Lord together. We’ll also enjoy a potluck lunch at 12pm (open to all, across congregations) at the Corrimal Hub (arrive from 11.45am).
2023 ATD Projects
In the lead-up to ATD, and during the month of September, you can get involved and express your thankfulness through prayer, or by giving towards our ATD projects. Here is the list of this year’s recipients…
* Note: 100% of gifts for this appeal go towards projects or ministries outside of our church.
1. Book gifts for theological students (who are former / current members at St Michael’s). [Goal: $500 each – total $4000]
2. Shoalhaven Aboriginal Community Church; to support their new pastor Brendan Garlett. [Goal: $5000]
3. New Churches for New Communities – keeping up with the population growth in Greater Sydney, building facilities across Sydney to support new churches. [Goal: $5000]
4. Anglicare – serving people in need, enriching lives & sharing the love of Jesus. [Goal: $5000]
We regularly partner with Anglicare via the community pantry at Corrimal, English Classes, Toys N Tucker and the weekly Tin Bin. Click here to watch a video about Anglicare.
5. Anglican Aid‘s “Loving Children” project to give kids in poverty a hope for a better future. [Goal: $5000]
6. Berkeley Life Centre – Berkeley Life Centre ministers to the marginalised and provides other facilities like the Opportunity Shop. BLC aims to share the gospel, knowing that only Jesus can transform both lives and the community. [Goal: 25% of any excess raised above our giving targets]
7. Local Leaders International (formerly known as Overseas Council Australia) – partnering with Bible colleges in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and the Pacific to train leaders, pastors and church planters. [Goal: 25% of any excess raised]
8. Open Doors Australia – strengthening the persecuted church around the world. [Goal: 25% of any excess raised]
How to give
Please consider giving electronically, making sure to label the description as ‘ATD‘, details found below. Alternatively, for cash donations, pre-labelled envelopes will be available to collect from church on Sundays this month (or from the office).
“How can I repay the Lord for all his goodness to me?” (Psalm 116:12)
To make an electronic donation for Annual Thanksgiving Day (ATD)*:
A/c Name: St Michaels Anglican Cathedral Wollongong
BSB: 032 694
A/c No: 266482
* Donations can be received until the end of September, 2023.